As a homebuyer, what do you want in a new home? If you’re like most people, you want a place that is comfortable, functional, and in a good location. In the past, homebuyers typically had to compromise on one or more of these desires, but that is no longer the case.
Thanks to changing demographics and advances in technology, buyers now have more options than ever before. People wanted open floor plans and functional but straightforward bathrooms in a pre-pandemic world. They wanted the ultimate in flexibility for entertaining indoors. Let’s take a look at what has changed and what buyers are now looking for in a home in 2022.
Location, Location, Location
The old saying still holds true – location is critical. When it comes to choosing a home, most buyers are looking for something that is in a desirable location. This could mean anything from being close to work or schools to being in a safe neighborhood.
In order to appeal to homebuyers, it is essential for sellers to understand what people are looking for in a location. Some things that buyers are interested in include:
1. Proximity to amenities – This could include things like restaurants, shopping, and public transportation.
2. Proximity to family and friends – Many buyers want to be close to their loved ones, especially as older parents retire and want to be near their children and grandchildren. They’ve been apart for an exceptionally long time and want to make up for lost bonding time.
3. Proximity to work – A growing number of homebuyers are looking for homes that are close to their place of employment. While many companies are still allowing workers to work remotely, an increasing number of them are embracing hybrid work models with a couple of days in the office and others remote. Many are also bringing people back to the office full-time.
4. Weather – Many buyers are looking for a location that has favorable weather conditions.
5. Safety and security – This is especially important to buyers with children.
Comfort and Functionality
In addition to wanting a home in a good location, buyers today also want one that is comfortable and functional. Some features that buyers are looking for include:
1. Spacious rooms – Many buyers want a home with plenty of living and storage space, including a laundry room on the first floor. Spacious bathrooms are also part of what most want these days.
2. Functional floor plans – A growing number of buyers prefer homes with functional floor plans, which allow for greater compartmentalization in how the space can be used. As people have worked from home during the pandemic, they realize that the open floor plan is great for entertaining but not so much for working or educating from home.
3. Modern amenities – Many buyers want a home that has updated features and appliances. They also want private offices and cozy bathrooms.
4. Energy-efficient materials – A growing number of buyers are interested in homes that have energy-efficient amenities. Outdoor lighting that is also energy-efficient is a big plus for homebuyers, too.
5. Multi-purpose spaces – Many buyers are looking for homes with spaces that can be used for multiple purposes, such as a home office or den. Patios also fit this bill as people want to be outside more to simply drink coffee or entertain others.
The Bottom Line
In today’s market, buyers have a lot of choices when it comes to finding a home that meets their needs. If you are a seller, it is crucial to understand what buyers are looking for and make sure your property has the features they are seeking. By doing so, you can increase the chances of your home selling quickly and for a good price.